Salam F. Zakko, M.D.
Practicing since July 1988
Introduction and Bio:
Dr. Salam F. Zakko is Executive Director of the Connecticut Gastroenterology Institute and Clinical Research Foundation and Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Connecticut where he served as Clinical Chief of Gastroenterology and Director of the Esophageal Testing Laboratory at the UCONN Health Center. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and a member of several medical subspecialty organizations. Dr Zakko is internationally recognized for his work in clinical gastrointestinal and biliary research and for his developments in the field for which he holds a number of patents. He lectures widely and is the author of numerous original articles, reviews and book chapters. He is a recognized expert in advanced gastrointestinal procedures and in his laboratory, several widely used diagnostic and therapeutic modalities were developed including percutaneous gallstone dissolution, Multi-channel solid state biliary manometry, and high resolution esophageal manometry. His more recent work has focused on the interpretation of breath testing for the irritable bowel syndrome.
- Gastroenterology - Board Certified: 1991
- Internal Medicine - Board Certified: 1985
- Advanced Gastrointestinal procedures
- Non-surgical Gastrointestinal Therapies
- Gallstones, biliary, & panreatic diseases and endoscopy
- Esophageal motility disorders & non-cardiac chest pain
- Radiofrequency Ablation of pre-cancerous lesions
- Colonoscopy including flat polypectomy
- Spirus and balloon enteroscopy
- Biliary and pancreatic endoscopy
- Clinical Research: irritable bowel syndrome, bacterial overgrowth syndrome, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, esophageal reflux.
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American Gastroenterological Association
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- American Assoc for the Advancement of Science
- Hartford County Medical Assoc.